Love can be pure, painful, sweet or dreadful. We need it and afraid of it. Here are some interesting facts and theories about love that will explain much about this all-absorbing phenomenon.
1. Examples of monogamous relationships exist all over the animal kingdom.
2. It only takes up to 4 minutes to decide whether you like someone or not.
3. When two people in love stare into each others’ eyes, their heart rates synchronize.
4. Falling in love has similar neurological effects as a cocaine high.
5. Cuddling triggers the same neurological reaction as taking painkillers.
6. Looking at a photo of your significant romantic interest can alleviate physical pain.
7. People are more attracted to those that they share a level of attractiveness with, or, in other words, are equally socially desirable.
8. Couples that are either too similar or too different tend not to last very long.
9. Heartbreak is not just a metaphor: traumatizing life events can cause real physical pains in the area of one’s heart.
10. Romantic love eventually ends. Couples at the start of a romantic relationship will be very different a year later.
11. People in love have chemical similarities with people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
12. An attractive face is preferred over an attractive body for long-term relationships
13. And holding hands with someone you love can alleviate physical pain as well as stress and fear.
14. Men who kiss their wives in the morning live five years longer than men who don’t.
15. Like sex and hunger, the urge to fall in love is primitive and biological.