Lekki Shooting: I Didn’t Go Nowhere, I’m Still Jagaban – Tinubu Says After Visit To Sanwo-Olu
Former governor of Lagos State and National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has debunked rumours that he fled Lagos State as the state witnessed violence and destruction of properties.
Tinubu said this when he spoke to journalists after he paid a visit to Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Governor of Lagos State, at the State House, Marina, on Saturday.
According to him, he did not travel out of the country as speculated on social media, stressing;
I didn’t go nowhere; I’m a Lagosian and I still hold the title of Asiwaju of Lagos and I am still a Jagaban.
Whatever they think. Fake news is all over the place. They say Seyi my son was kidnapped and was chased but look at him. I didn’t pay a penny to bring him here.
Tinubu, who is a former Lagos State governor, said he was at the State House to ask Governor Sanwo-Olu if he ordered the soldiers seen in videos circulating on social media to attack the #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza on Tuesday.
He then said;
If he didn’t order the attack, who ordered the attack? That’s all I needed from him.
He stated that there is a need for a proper investigation into Tuesday’s shooting, as well as the subsequent arson and looting that followed for days in some parts of the state.
The APC national leader expressed;
First, we have to segregate the calendar – those who suffered casualty before the protests from the hands of SARS. You have to separate that from those who suffered casualty due to what happened at the toll gate.
For those who suffered casualty from SARS, I think the Commission of Inquiry that is already set up will unearth that and will make their recommendations. I trust the calibre and the character of the people there, they are independent. That is one.
Those who suffered casualty during the gunshots need to answer some questions too. Even though we want to help, we still must extract information that will help the government to prepare in future and understand how and when to react because the governor, in particular, is a youth.
The former Lagos State governor also indicated that the #EndSARS protesters extended their demonstrations beyond necessary, noting that Governor Sanwo-Olu had already begun the process of ensuring their “5 For 5” demands are being met both at the Federal and state levels.
As a youth himself, he (Sanwo-Olu) quickly went to Abuja with the 5/5. The government immediately put into action, dissolved the SARS and had to work through other recommended actions, the needs they demanded. Within a few days, he reported back to the public. That is responsive enough.
But where are we getting the looting, the carnage, the invasion of police stations, stealing of arms, maiming of the innocent? It is a handshake beyond the elbow.
Tinubu has come under fire in the last few days over the Lekki shooting incident, with some persons accusing him of orchestrating the soldiers’ deployment to the Lekki Toll Gate, which some persons claim is one of his business interests.
Hoodlums burnt down investment reportedly linked with him including Television Continental, a television station; The Nation, a newspaper house as well as assets of the Lekki Concession Company, the managers of the toll gate.